Long Arm Quilting

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My Basket Quilt


Hey there folks! Today I am going to show you a zillion pictures and chat a bit about this quilt that I have been working on for the past several years and have finally finished. My Basket Quilt. I started this one with Gwen Marston back in 2011 (I think) and finally finished putting the top together at our KCMQG quilt retreat in Hamilton, MO. I LOVE Gwen Marston and if you EVER have a chance to sew with her DO IT. She is brilliant. Truly. Anyway, she came to Dallas When I lived in San Angelo so I made the drive up to her to learn about making basket blocks (her way). I am actually not wild about basket quilts, but I LOVED her technique. It was so fun to make all the blocks just a tad bit different...heck some full blown KRAZY. Some even became flower pots. Flower pots and baskets are pretty similar really.


So I came home with a bag full of baskets and no clue what to do with them or what layout to give them, so they got put away. They were put away for YEARS. I would take them out during lulls...play with them some create some fun spare parts...then get busy with work related quilts and the blocks would get put away again.


Finally I decided to make them into the last border of a medallion quilt. I love a medallion quilt. I make lots of them because they are so fun to build on and really fun to quilt. I made a center block and built on the borders, and made some more appliqué parts.


All the appliqué is needle turn except for one part.


They stars are the only part that I HATE. I really wish I would have just pieced some stars. I love making wonky stars I don't know why I dropped the ball here but I did. I hated this part so much that is sat unfinished for another 2 years. For real.


This funny appliqué sprout is a block I had been working on on and off while waiting in the school pick up line. It was in my purse and I needed another block to make the bottom border long enough. It kinda matched so I added it in. I also quilted a couple extra leaves on the stem.


Some sprouts in a pot. I did figure out the ACU fabric does not want to be forced into leaves. It fought me every stitch. But in the end I won.


Two of my Altura blocks from Carolyn Friedlander went into the quilt too.


I tried really hard to keep the quilting simple...but I decided the trees needed to be snowed on.



Each basket is quilted different. This one has some feathers.


I used two layers of batting in this quilt to make it really heavy and to make the elements of the quilt pop. I used cotton and wool batting from Quilters Dream.



I think this is my favorite basket. I quilted around the spheres and it looks cool.


This is the back. It is all fabric I bought while in Hamilton for the quilt retreat.


This is a process shot, while I was quilting the quilt on the long arm.


And here is fabulous Jenny Doan of the Missouri Star Quilt Company. She was as sick as a dog and still came out to say hi to our KCMQG. She is pretty great.

Anyway, I think that was my longest UFO project. If you have some crazy blocks bust them out and make them into a medallion quilt. It is magic.

xo,
Tia

6 comments:

  1. LOVE this quilt so much! Your sprout block is a great addition. Love how whimsical it is and your stitching is just perfect.:) Congrats on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this quilt so much! Your sprout block is a great addition. Love how whimsical it is and your stitching is just perfect.:) Congrats on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved watching you complete this work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you finished and posted this quilt. It has an energy that is indescribable. It knows more about you that you can imagine!!!! There's history in those blocks/baskets and all of the different quilting treatments are a joy and a lesson. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant quilt! I loved Gwen Marston designs and you have made a great quilt using your basket blocks. So glad you finished it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I read each one. I will either respond via email or here in the comments. xo - Tia